The cover is for the sequel to "A Sheriff in Nevada." Almost everything below is in the first book if you want to read that (99 cents). The cover of that book is excellent. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJHCKN9/
The main points for your consideration:
Where: A small town in eastern Nevada surrounded by a desolate desert.
Who: Sheriff Maggie Doane leads a small town police department.
What: “Downfall” in the title applies to several things:
- The falling rain of a monsoon (yes, Nevada gets heavy rains from the south).
- The largest building in town, a casino with a convention area, is destroyed by the monsoon, trapping a deputy and the building’s owner.
- Maggie’s main relationship ends.
- Maggie’s sobriety ends after years of AA.
What: The two people are trapped under the building in what could be described as a walk-in closet. They’re sitting on wooden stairs and huddled around the light of a cell phone. Water is seeping into the closet at the end of the book.
These descriptions are provided for background information:
This is rural Nevada, so avoid Reno and Las Vegas. The county has old-fashioned casinos, redneck bars, an air force base, a legal brothel, and some of the most beautiful landscape in the world. Seriously, the designers should google images of eastern Nevada. And you should visit.
The town of Davis is small and located on a sloping hilltop. This slope is part of the danger to the trapped people under the convention area. Look at the towns of Tonopah and Ely in Nevada on Google Maps street view for ideas.
The two people trapped under the building are:
- Tanner, a deputy. He’s in his early twenties. He transitioning from a chubby teenager to a man. Has the face of someone you would trust on sight.
- Sophie is the town’s richest woman who owns several businesses. She’s in her mid-thirties with black hair. She is not a victim.
The most fun character is Spud, Maggie’s lazy police dog wannabe. He’s a beautiful golden lab who is just growing into his massive paws.
Summary: A cover with the main character is preferred similar to the first book, but here’s some opportunity for you to exercise your imagination. Thank you!