A 2D Flash sidescrolling massively multiplayer game in development needs avatar designs! The avatars should have broad appeal to both genders, be drawn in vector graphics and with the head/body ratio somewhere between the Sackboy of the Little Big Planet to the original Mario.
The avatars should be humanoid (2 hands, 2 arms, 2 eyes etc) but not explicitly human. Please see the attached images for reference.
In this assignment we are looking for samples to help us make decisions about the standard body shape and the range of possible decorative customizations a player can make (e.g., hair, eyes, nose, mouth, clothes, hats, shoes, etc.) Please include two different basic designs, each with two variations of customizable features -- that's six figures total.
20-30 years-old, both genders, who are used to expressing themselves on the web through games and social websites. The focus is on a little more savvy and "mature" crowd than the stereotypical early teenage Facebook gamer. The tone is humorous and often absurd.
Aesthetic requirements for the avatars:
* Semi-chunky body form, without any bent limbs (e.g., they will be animated as jointed skeletons, not rubber-armed mickey mice).
* There is no combat in the game - please stay away from violent themes. Also, no warrior-like or muscle-bound avatars.
* Cute, but not *too* cute or cutsie-poo cute.
* Animal and dress-up themes acceptable, but should be centered around some concept or "normal-looking" for avatars in a MMO.
Technical requirements for the avatars:
* Drawn in vector graphics (Flash preferred)
* In 3/4 front perspective
* Characters cannot have a strongly directional lightsource, shadows or highlights (if the style requires a lightsource, it should be roughly above the avatars head, shining down). Styles without any lightsource, shadows or highlights are also acceptable.
* Please do not use keylines.
Two basic avatar body shapes each with 2 additional variations of facial features and clothes (3 avatars in each basic body shape/style).