The Unfun Parent
I'm an author who is about to launch a new book called The Unfun Parent: Keeping your children safe (and happy) in the internet age.
I also write an internet marketing blog, http://www.conversationmarketing.com, which is a great look at my writing style.
UnfunParent.com should be quirky and fun, but search engine friendliness is most important - see the notes and cover design, below.
Parents with kids age 6-16. Middle and upper-middle class. Think Toyota Prius, Volvo and BMW drivers. These are folks who get on the internet at least a few times a day, and use Facebook and similar sites, but it's still a struggle for them.
Site must have the following Pages (please use WordPress Pages for these, not Posts):
Buy the Book
Site must have the following on every page:
- Subscribe box (e-mail and RSS - will use Feedburner for both)
- Tag index: Look at http://www.smashingmagazine.com/200…practices/ under 'Tag Index not Tag Clouds' for examples. I'll never have more than 20 tags.
- A blogroll
- Popular posts
- Links to Twitter account, Facebook page, LinkedIn page
- Categories: Besides the actual blog post or content, this should be the most prominent thing on each page.
- A link to the pages listed at the beginning of this note.
The home page should feature the blog posts, showing only the excerpt (before the MORE element), but have all the elements listed above.
The home page should also have a block of 200 characters or so to hold a description of the book.
Site can be up to 900 pixels wide, fixed width, centered.
I don't have the cover art, unfortunately, but it's going to use bold colors: Background will be yellow, letters will use reds and greens.
Please, though, feel free to use your judgment. I'm far more concerned with readability than with 'prettiness'.
Please provide a layered PSD file if you win the contest.