We need an eye catching icon for our app. The app is still in development so we don’t have many screenshots available yet. But we have provided 3 screenshots of the app as attachments (PNG format) so please look at that for the general color scheme of the app.
We've also provided a screenshot of many kids app icons for your inspiration (IMG_0025.PNG).
The app is an education game for kids aged 3 to 10 years old. The images in it are “cute”, “colourful”, “simple” and attractive, because this is what appeals to kids. Bright colors are very important as it helps to keep kids engaged.
So here are the key points we’re looking for in the icon:
1. We want a “mascot”. So we want the icon to have ONE character in it, such as a baby, or an animal of some kind. But whatever “mascot” you choose it MUST be CUTE and ATTRACTIVE to kids.
2. Kids love bright colors and simplicity. So we want the icon to be bright and simple.
3. The main color of the app is yellow (please have a look at the screenshot with the yellow background below for the exact yellow color). The secondary color of the app is purple (also a screenshot of the purple background) and red (the red arrow in the red_arrow.PNG). So it maybe nice to use either the yellow, purple or red in the app icon in some way. Perhaps as the background (because the mascot can be ANY color you want).
4. The “mascot” should be HAPPY and should be doing some sort of “action” or “pose” that encourages the user to come and play the app. The mascot can be ANY color you want, and does NOT have to be any of the 3 main colors of the app.
5. The background to the icon should be quite plain, and probably either the yellow or the purple or the red that is in the screenshots below. You may choose to include something in the background, but there shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 things in the background because the icon will be quite small on users phones and it will be hard to see small things in the background anyway. And the mascot should definitely be in the foreground.
6. The icon should be square and the dimensions should be 1024x1024 pixels. We do NOT want any rounded borders. A perfect square please.
7. One of the main recommendations that Google gives when designing app icons is not to overcomplicate the icon. Putting too many things into the icon is not recommended because the icon will be relatively small (usually 72x72 or smaller) on most phones. So make sure your design does not look cluttered when its size is reduced.
We'd also like to clarify what types of animals should NOT be used as the mascot:
The reason is that we already have some other apps that contain these animals.
The deliverables we expect should include:
1. The original format of the file used to design the icon (Photoshop or Illustrator or otherwise file)
2. PNG version at 1024x1024 resolution (or if this is not possible then please confirm with us the highest resolution you can provide)
We might ask for anything else that you used to produce the icon.