We'd like to make some improvements to our current logo while maintaining some continuity as well.
** Function **
1. The icon is also a button, that must be suitable for placement in the page next to news articles to perform a "like" action
2. The icon should also work as our favicon
3. This same icon should appear in the logo. It can be separated from the text (as currently done) or integrated into the "Likematter" name
4. The icon/button should be as suggestive as possible to the user as to its purpose - indicating preference
** Style **
1. A reasonable approach would be to use a thumbs-up motif arranged as an "L", though this isn't a requirement.
2. The size, shape, layout, colors, and fonts of the icon and text are all open to changes as the designer sees fit.
3. We may want to add a "dislike" function, so an icon that has elements (like inverting the thumb) that would lend to a compatible "dislike" button in the future is desirable.
** Examples **
1. An example of a service with a similar situation is Shareaholic, which has an icon used both in the logo and as a browser button - it's simple, easily recognizable, and suggestive of purpose.
2. Pandora has a clear system for indicating likes and dislikes using thumbs-up & thumbs-down
More information available upon request.
Thank you and Good Luck!