I am the director of a non-profit project from the Rossier School of Education at the University of Southern California (USC) that intends to open a radically different kind of urban high school for youth who are in danger of dropping out of school. I am committed to providing an alternative to the traditional high school that is failing over a third of the youth in the country and over half of the youth in urban environments -- the evidence? Those are the percentages of students who drop out of traditional high schools -- over 1.2 million students a year. We need to do better!
The alternative high school we have in mind will be open seven days a week, 10 hours a day, and year-round. No classes, classrooms, or bells. Students will create their own schedules, work on projects in the community, do their academic course-work online with digital curriculum and video-conferenced teachers, and they will meet regularly with counselors, language and reading specialists, and science, math, language arts, and social studies teachers. Technology plays a central role in this school, enabling students to advance at their own rate through personalized learning plans.
Cuéntanos a qué tipo de público quieres llegar
Our audience will initially be 14-18 year olds, mostly Hispanic, Latino or African American from the neighborhoods around USC in Los Angeles. A large percentage of these students speak English as a second language and live at or near poverty. Many have very low achievement levels in reading and math. Our goal is to help them regain a feeling of empowerment and self-worth, and to provide the instruction, coaching and care that will enable them to successfully graduate and enter colleges or careers of their choice.
The primary use of this logo will be to provide a unique identity for a new website about the project.
1) It would be ideal if the logo utilized the USC colors (USC Cardinal #990000 and USC Gold #FFCC00).
2) The logo SHOULD NOT use any form of the official USC logo or USC Seal.
3)The logo SHOULD NOT use any traditional icons from the world of schools, like little red school houses, chalk boards, graduation caps, etc.). The entire point of this project is to create a new kind of high school, not one that reminds students of their failure, frustration, and dislike at traditional high schools.
3) Pop and Sizzle -- We would like this more than elegance. Our market is inner-city youth, BUT importantly, their parents too--nothing profane, disrespectful, or provocative--we are a public school.
4) File format:
print file format - .ai (CMYK)
Web file format - .jpg and layered .psd (RGB)
5) Please do not use any stock images or clip art in the logo
6) Logos we like: http://www.laalliance.org/ http://www.oceancharterschool.org/ http://www.larchmontcharterweho.org…ywood.html http://www.icefla.org/