Tell the Town Radio
I am the producer and host of Tell the Town Radio, my latest podcast that features my mixes of reggae music and its sub-genres. This podcast is my second project. The first podcast I produced helped me understand the process of podcasting and iron the kinks out. I want this project to be more polished, and I think a very important element is the podcast artwork.
If you aren't familiar with the culture behind reggae, a DJ of reggae music is called a selector, so the persona I will be using for the show is Selector Alpha Lion. The "philosophy" behind the podcast, as the name suggests, is to play new and quality selections of music for the audience. Exposing my listeners to classic music that they want to hear and new or rare music is my ultimate goal. The motto of the show is "Bringing the best in reggae music to the massive" (the people)
It's also important to know that back in Jamaica during the 70s and 80s, selectors would literally load their equipment on the back of a pick-up truck and drive into a neighborhood and basically have a block party. I envision my podcast as a 21st century version of this tradition.
The target audience of my podcast is obviously fans of reggae music. There are really two divisions of that audience though: die-hard fans and casual listeners. I hope that attractive artwork will be appealing to both types of listeners. This podcast will be on the iTunes store as well, so the artwork will be the first thing potential listeners will notice.
First off, the artwork needs to be a high resolution (600x600 pixels is recommended) square image and either jpeg or png.
I am very open to designers being creative, but there some basic concepts that I want to be present:
- I would like the artwork to incorporate a town and music playing for the town from something like a radio tower with large speakers.
- There should be an idea of "big and loud sound." See the "rootshack" file I uploaded for an example.
- I'd like it if there was a cartoonish sort of look, but I am open to other ideas.
- The artwork needs to prominently display the title, "Tell the Town Radio". I do not want the font to be modern or elegant. It should also say, in a smaller font, "hosted by Alpha Lion"
- Please see the images I uploaded. It's my hope that you can see the elements in them that I have mentioned above. Also, below is a website of a recording company specializing in reggae music, and I love the overall look of the site. Maybe it can serve as inspiration: