Dot UI - Company Name | http://www.dotui.com
I'm an entrepreneur creating a home operating system platform. We have the code to control home-networked devices on our server. but, we stop there, opening up the user interface possibilities to everyone.
In fact, our goal is to show that the best user interface isn't the one that ships with the device. Crowd-sourcing will deliver the easiest-to-use solution. We are showing large and small companies what this user interface technology can do. It is already a published international standard (ISO 24752). Your design can be the prototype that shows investors and early adopters that the best home network solution is centered around the user interface.
We intend to develop a license model for UI designers to sell their solutions much like Apple's App Store. We will heavily promote our first contest winner.
ideas for energy dashboards:
Our market strategy is to offer each individual homeowner a completely different experience that suits them best. your default UI should be simple and informative. this is a totally interactive technology. an advanced control switch should live somewhere in order to provide more granular control of thermostat, lights or pill bottle reminders.
We want to sell this system to senior citizens, but connect them to their children/grandchildren. Imagine an easy way for them access Web 2.0 services like flickr, google calendar, etc. Meanwhile, our system will make sure that they are comfortable and energy-efficient.
Design your screen to be intended for use as a 16x9 touch screen on the wall (800x480). Buttons will be large and dynamically ordered.
1. center: family picture frame (flickr-style framed slide show)
2. nav bar: icon for energy control
3. nav bar: icon for health snapshot
4. nav bar: icon for calendar/events
5. message area: a) standard message: outdoor temp/indoor temp/set point temp. b) custom message i.e. Charlie's Soccer Game at 4:30pm, Garden watering skipped due to rain yesterday, take 1 Vestril at 6pm after dinner.
revised: i understand that we should keep it to one screen, so the following could be optionally mocked up at the bottom of the screen:
energy control screen:
1. simple adjustments for heat and cool set points
2. simple slider bar like a laptop battery monitor
(more savings <-------> more comfort)
3. 3d bar graph for energy usage over the last 90 days, etc.
health snapshot screen:
1. 3d bar graphs for weight/blood pressure over last 90 days.
2. Medication Reminders for following prescription drugs: (taken/not taken)
3. message center: home health status: excellent: toxicity levels are non-existent.
anything goes here. maybe a day/week/month view with some typical senior citizen events listed... bingo/shuffleboard/swimming/visiting grandkids.