Contact your client before you start designing to get branding guidelines (logo and colors), copy, dimensions and printing specifications.2.
Ask your client these three essential questions:
- What’s the product?
- Who’s buying the product?
- Where are they buying the product?
3. Determine whether you're designing for one or multiple products and if you need to adapt your design to a pre-existing style.
4. Visualize the end product and think about how it will look in 3-D on a store shelf or in a consumer’s home.
5. Include all the design elements that you are legally required to provide (e.g. expiration dates, nutrition info, etc.).
6. Only include elements and terms that you’re sure of. For example, don’t put in “organic” unless your client provides proof their product has been certified organic.
7. Keep different packaging designs in separate files.